Thursday, July 30, 2015

Book Review: Courting Trouble by Deeanne Gist

 Courting Trouble


                           Courting Trouble




From Amazon:


Tired of Waiting for a Match-Made-in-Heaven,
She'll Settle for One Made in Texas

Whether it's riding bikes, catching snakes, or sliding down banisters, Essie Spreckelmeyer just can't quite make herself into the ideal woman her hometown--and her mother--expect her to be. It's going to take an extraordinary man to appreciate her joy and spontaneity--or so says her doting oil-man father. 

Unfortunately such a man doesn't appear to reside in Corsicana, Texas. 

It's 1894, the year of Essie's thirtieth birthday, and she decides the Lord has more important things to do than provide her a husband. If she wants one, she needs to catch him herself. So, she writes down the names of all the eligible bachelors in her small Texas town, makes a list of their attributes and drawbacks, closes her eyes, twirls her finger, and ... picks one.

But convincing the lucky "husband-to-be" is going to a bit more of a problem.

Join Deeanne Gist for another unforgettable tale and find out whether Essie's plan to catch a husband succeeds or if she's just Courting Trouble.


My Thoughts:

Courting Trouble was a book that I just couldn't put down. I felt myself drawn into the story of Essie as she looks for a man.   The author Deeanne Gist drew me in to Essie's world with great descriptions that at times had me,  embarrassed by her actions, impressed with her hardworking skills, absolutely shocked by her, and then I felt compassion.  All of this kept me reading page after page

Essie, the main character, was my favorite. A bike riding, fishing, frog hunting, snake catching woman is a person I can relate too.   She just has one problem she doesn't live in our time. To a man back in 1894 she is even improper and she is way past the courting age. She earns my favor by continuing to be herself.   

I was taken back by a couple of chapters in the book and for that reason I don't recommend this to young teenage readers. Things happen in books just like they do in real life. Courting Trouble reminds me that we not perfect and are all forgiven when we confess our sins.  

A great read!





I bought this book used at a church garage sale for 25 cents. What a deal!   

Sign up for my daily email list and never miss a post!  Join me on TwitterPinterest, and Bloglovin where I share my frugal list, gardening, recipes, free kindle books, and more!


This post has been linked to the Home Matters Linky Party at Life with Lorelei, Sunday's Down Under at Natasha in Oz, 

No comments: