Tuesday, September 1, 2015

DIY: A Makeover of My Childhood Chalkboard

One of my fondest memories when I was a child was having "school"  down in the basement.   My sister and I took turns playing teacher and student, until I think she just grew too old for the play.   I was left with my dolls then as the students and I was the teacher always!

As I grew older the chalkboard that I used for school was then used for messages while my brother was on the phone.  More years went by and the nieces and nephews found the board too  

It had been used to the limit when I rescued it last week.    Here is the before picture:





Adding up the numbers I realized my chalkboard was probably 50 years old.   I can't believe that!  I can't believe I have anything that old that belonged to me.  I'm old...Thank God!

I wanted this chalkboard to be saved for my grandchildren so they too can have sweet memories too! When I found this chalkboard spray paint at my local hardware store,  I knew it was possible.  



Chalkboard Krylon that I used -Vickie's Kitchen and Garden



I first taped off the letters on top  and the chalk holder on bottom.

Taping off the ABC's and Chalk holder -Vickie's Kitchen and Garden



I sprayed the chalkboard three times until I felt it was ready for the wonderful grandson.

Grandson giving it a try for the first time-Vickie's Kitchen and Garden



I'll be hanging it in his home this week.  A 50 year old chalkboard renewed and the memories continue! 


All done with the chalkboard:  Vickie's Kitchen and Garden




Sign up for my daily email list and never miss a post!  Join me on TwitterPinterest, and Bloglovin where I share my frugal list, gardening, recipes, free kindle books, and more!

I was not compensated for this post.


This post has been linked to Making a Home-Homemaking Linky, Wonderful Wednesday, The (Not Just) Homemaking Party, Thrifty Thursday, What to do Weekends, From the Farm Blog Hop, Sundays Down Under, Motivation Monday, The Art of Homemaking MondaysMetaphoris Monday, This is How We Roll Linky Party, Think and Make Thursdays,  Creativity Unleashed Link Party, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party

No comments: